Sunday

Herman and I went to church this morning. We havn't been in a while, but decided to give it another shot. I spent my time writing notes about work and planning things to do this summer. Ok, that's not all I did. I also did some thinking about christianity and faith and what the whole going to church thing is all about.
The more we don't go to church, the more it feels like I'm slowly getting out of a stifling box of expectations, rules and regulations. I find myself reading certain kinds of books without suffering pangs of guilt, or even thinking that there might be more to the world than the christian view of it. I have been raised to be a christian, gone to christian schools (not all of the time, but mostly), got married to a christian, went to the same church for the last 15 years, and now feel like this lack of church is giving me time to stretch my mind.
I'm still trying to figure out if this stretching of the mind is a good thing or a bad one. It could be construed as the devil trying to get me. Or it could be me, growing up, trying to look beyond a sometimes limited evangelical world view.
I'm just not sure yet.

3 reacties:

Anonymous said...

Hoi Marf (oops sorry mistype, I of course meant Marit ;-))
Annemieke and I read this this evening and we are struck by the similarity in the process you and we are going through. I think it's a good thing. Awhile back I was thinking/praying about whether it was a good thing or not and I thought Jesus might say, "Trust me to guide you in discovering who I made you to be. It's more important to be true to yourself than to a religious system. Don't you think that I'm bigger than the devil?"
I don't know if the gist of what I mean is coming across. WHen i read what I wrote it looks sorta bland. But hopefully we will have time shortly to talk about this kinda stuff.
Anyways... go MARIT!!!
Love Android ...uh André

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm....questioning 'christianity' or questioning 'God'? Hmmmmmmmmm

~Deb B.

Anonymous said...

GO ADNROI.... (I mean Android,ummmm Andre)!!
Looking forward to that talk!!

Post a Comment