Nooks and Crannies

How do you feel about cleaning every nook and cranny of a fridge that seems to have been soaked in nicotine? Yes, nicotine!
How did this come to be?
Well, yesterday my hubby went and bought a secondhand fridge. We did this through the dutch version of e-bay. Yeah for a "new" fridge! He brought it in and parked it in the shed so I could give it a clean today and mentioned it was yellowed a bit. I walked over last night and got hit in the nostrils by the strong smell of cigarettes.
Today I went to clean the thing (as a matter of fact, I am in the middle of it. Just taking a break to share...) and my goodness gracious me..... the fridge is actually white, once you bother to get the nicotine off. If I had known it was this gross, then we would never have bought the thing! I took a sponge with scouring powder to it and the water is coming off BROWN!! I opened the door of the fridge and the reek of cigarettes wafted out. Just lovely!
So here's to me, doing my most favorite thing. :-(
Thank goodness the sun is shining, I have new plants for the garden, my lovely daughter has returned from her Italian expedition, sonny boy is jumping on the trampoline and I have a whole week of vacation to look forward to!

5 reacties:

Anonymous said...

"Febreeze" it! The stuff works on just about anything. Spray it down, leave the door open and let it air out. My parent's had a rat crawl up in their stove and die--double ewww--and the Febreeze got rid of the odor. If there is no such thing in Holland, I'll send you some!:)

The man who worked on this house before we bought it smoked. It's just now getting to the point where I can turn on the air and *not* get hit with old cigarette smell. Blah!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan! First I will do another round of cleaning with bleach and then try the Febreeze. You know I even used a toothbrush on the darn fridge???

Anonymous said...

You know, I was going to say put a couple OPEN boxes of baking soda in the fridge & let them sit for a couple of days. Don't forget the freezer area too! It will soak up all the odors.
Using a box of charcoal, like you use in a fish tank will also do the trick.

Deb B. ~ Colorado

Anonymous said...

Please, oh, please tell me it was an old toothbrush. No surprises for anyone in the morning...

Anonymous said...

Ewww DORI, that was gross! lol

Deb B. ~Colorado

Post a Comment