Spy Fox

My kids have very little in common, but yesterday Marinda went to the library and got a computer game called Spy Fox which brought instant bonding between them. Years ago we used to have this game on our computer and the kids would play it fanatically. So now they use their combined memories to play the game and see it through to the end. And they enjoy every minute of it! It's so nice to see them connect over something. Though it's kind of weird as well because it's so far beyond what my siblings and I bond over. Most of my sibling bonding is over our shared memories of growing up in Ethiopia. And our common link is the fact that we talk english together. Sometimes I wonder what my kids will talk about when they're older. Sometimes I worry that they'll drift apart and not talk at all. I would hate to see that happen! Though I think it wouldn't happen quickly because they have a pretty strong connection to my family and to Hermans. They are actually growing up with grandparents and aunts and uncles that they see on a regular basis. I didn't. I rarely have contact with aunts or uncles or cousins. I guess that's one of the disadvantages of growing up all over the world, instead of in Holland. Marinda and Tristan have a much stronger sense of extended family than I do. And all in all I think that's pretty special. I wouldn't trade the way I grew up though! That had/has it's own unique specialness.
It's like comparing an apple with a pear or, if you will, a mango with a ....... hmm, I was hoping to get a nice comparison here, but can't come up with the right fruit!

1 reacties:

Anonymous said...

Guava??

Post a Comment