Things I need to hear

Just after I wrote my last post on compliments, I read this at "ET TU?"- The diary of a former atheist.

Here's an excerpt. This falls into the category of "things I NEED to hear, but don't really want to know...."

"I know now that the validation I seek can only come from the "still, small voice" of God. But God doesn't shout. To hear his voice is not an entirely passive endeavor; it requires something of us. We hear God's voice most clearly when we make time for silence, and when we get rid of the static that our sins create -- but that's an arduous, sometimes painful process. Frankly, it's a whole lot quicker and easier to pick up the phone and call a friend or, for those of us who have blogs, to go read comments or log in to Sitemeter. To read responses on your blog that essentially say "I approve" offers passive, instant gratification in a way that the voice of God does not; to discern whether or not God says "I approve" is an entirely different endeavor...and a whole lot more work."

4 reacties:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link!

Also, thank you for your suggestion to add a Mr. Linky to my latest post. Just did.

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of this--the last line, however, I don't think is true. I believe it's the simplest thing in the world to gain approval from God--and to know that you have that approval. As long as we live a life that is pleasing and glorifying to Him then He approves. And we know the crap that doesn't fall into that pleasing and glorifying category--though some people lump more into that category and unnecessarily make Christianity a legalistic religion.

Sorry--didn't mean to take you to church! :D

Validation and self-worth comes from within. If we look to others for that stuff then we're just setting ourselves up to fail and to be miserable!

Okay, I'm done.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dori,
I think the hard work is in the discernment, not so much in the things you "have" to do.
I, for one, have a hard time hearing Gods voice or really "getting" the fact that he approves.
Does that make sense?

Anonymous said...

well i cudnt have found jen n u at a better time....
i just reconciled with Him after months. n it feels great!!!
n i'm askin Him to give me again the privilege of being Driven by the Spirit!!!

Post a Comment